Category Archives: News
By Raul Gregory
The day started out like any other. It was Monday, April 9, the first day back to school after spring break. We all went to first period and followed the teachers’ instructions, and at 9:30 AM we were reading our independent reading books when it happened. I had just turned the page of my book when the sound of the fire alarm pierced through the air. We followed our teacher who led us outside. It was cold. I remember hearing a student say, “I’m so cold. When will this drill be over?”
We stayed out there for what seemed like forever. At this point we had surpassed the average waiting time for a fire drill, and realised that there might have actually been an issue inside of school worth evacuation. We soon learned that there was an issue because the fire department arrived. I heard others talking nervously. People began contemplating what had happened. After a while we were told that we were to go down to the gym. Once there, the rumors spread like wildfire. One kid sitting to my right said that the cafeteria had caught fire. The kid to my left said that the paper towel dispenser had malfunctioned and caught fire. We sat in the gym chatting and spreading rumors for at least ten minutes until a police officer or firefighter told us what had happened. Apparently a small fire had broken out in the upstairs boys’ bathroom. We were sent back to class around 10:30 after it was confirmed that the classes were safe for reentry
To find out what really happened, I interviewed our school superintendent, Dr. Wisniewski. He started off by telling me that when he heard the fire alarm that day he thought it was a malfunction or the boiler was letting off steam. A teacher alerted him to the fire in a garbage can in the upstairs boys bathroom apparently set by a student. When he realized what was really going on, he knew that the situation at hand was much worse than he thought. Dr. W described the fire as a “trident of flames” because the flames had torn through both sides of the garbage can and had also burst through the top creating what appeared to be a trident. He was able to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher. Police are investigating the incident.
Dr. W. said that reflecting on the experience made him realize that everyone did what they were supposed to do. He discussed how proud he was of the students of Bradley Beach, saying this was an isolated incident, and that we are safe here in our wonderful little school. To end the interview, I asked him about the black lock covers that were installed on classroom doors after the fire. He told me that they are designed to make sure doors are remained locked at all times. They are helpful for lockdown drills, and can also be used for preventing cross ventilation so that oxygen cannot get to a potential fire.
Thanks to quick thinking and proper training, our school is safe. Now let’s make sure it stays that way!
(Photo courtesy of Marissa Vitale)
By Lucas Davis, News Editor
In the beginning of this year, our supervisor of curriculum and instruction Mr. Liebmann left Bradley Beach Elementary School for greener pastures, if they exist. This is a sad occurrence. However, the person replacing Mr. Liebmann is just as amiable. Sarah Poppe is the new supervisor of curriculum and instruction for our school.
For the first time in BBES history, seven students were inducted into the National Junior Honor Society in a ceremony on May 23. Seventh graders Sophia Li, Brian Ramon-Miron, and Jordan Barraud; and eighth graders Eddie Hagerman, Rebecca Roth, William Cooperman, and Aidan Carlucci were inducted into the organization. To be eligible, students must be in good academic standing and have completed 20 documented hours of service and leadership in the community.
Above: Seventh grader Audra Lowe reads a short story she wrote during the final meeting of the Seniors of the Ascension Church. Photo courtesy of Kirsty Sucato.
By Lucas Davis, News Editor
The year of 2018 marks the ending of the Church of the Ascension Seniors Club. The group was a chance for the elderly of Bradley Beach to meet and socialize. The club was started ten years ago by the Joe Crowley, the parishioner at that time. In order to attend, a ten dollar fee was put in place for the club’s survival. After one year, he left, and the role of leader fell upon the shoulders of Ms. Crouse, who gladly accepted the position. Due to the lack of leadership in the form of the loss of Ms.Crouse, the club will be closing.
(Photos courtesy of Amy Roth)
By Brian Ramon-Miron, Reporter
If you see kids in line with a familiar teacher, Mrs. Laurel Degnan, you might think that the kindergartners are looking younger every year. But actually, you’re looking at the new preschool class that has doubled in size because of a grant that our school won in September. Read more
(Photos courtesy of Ms. Acerra)
By Lucas Davis, News Editor
Bradley Beach is a crime-free, perfect, town by the sea. Or so you once believed. On September 21, in our small pearl of a town, a serial shooting began. A man, wielding a BB gun, shot the windows of two of the eighth grade teachers’ cars. The first victim, Ms. Heather Ross, reported from her classroom by the entrance of the school.
“The first thing I thought was, Oh my gosh, How am I going to afford this?!” she said, taking a drink from her thermos. The bullet struck her car in the passenger front side of her window. The first attack occurred during the school day, and her car was parked in the front of the school, where a late student might enter.
The perpetrator was thought to be shooting at squirrels when a BB went astray, and hit her car. When she mentioned the bit about the incapacitation of squirrels, she gave a disdainful nod, as if to say, “I would like to see him in the place of those squirrels.” Read more